About the Memorial Garden
The First Reformed Church of the United Church of Christ includes a 2,500 square-feet garden area, between the parsonage and the church building, dedicated to the interment of cremated remains. In the past, a cemetery existed for the church since the first log building was erected as a house of worship in 1736. In 1848, the cemetery moved to the northeastern outskirts of the city at the Corner of E. Lemon and N. Lime Streets) and became the Lancaster Public Cemetery. Starting in 1848, the church started moving graves from the church yard to the new cemetery.
Today, because increasing numbers of individuals are opting for cremation over traditional burial, a committee of seven of the First Reformed Church was organized to discuss the development of a garden for future burials. Because the land had once served as a church cemetery, it seemed appropriate to consider it for an area of interment.
- One of Lancaster’s oldest and most historic gardens.
- More than 50 former members, family members and children interred.
- Oldest member interred: Johannes Messenkop (November 13, 1724 – January 19, 1797)
- Surrounded by extravagant, beloved courtyard to the city’s historical sites.